How to be a light in the darkness

By Oseyi Omokhoa


Hey everyone,


I'm writing this post from quite a raw place right now but firstly I want to thank God for strengthening me and being my Comforter. Through the trials the Lord has always been with me so I have to thank Him!

Dedicated to my Mum, Dad and Brother. RIP 

 

So the title of this blog was inspired by the Holy Spirit when I was watching a video of peaceful protesters singing ‘Waymaker’ at a BLM protest. The Bible calls us to be a ‘light in the darkness’ – Ephesians 5:8 but what is light and what is darkness?

 

Light is a natural agent that makes things visible

John 1:5 “The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.”

 

Darkness is the absence of light, therefore things are harder to see

Genesis 1:2 “The earth was formless and empty, and darkness covered the deep waters. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters.”

As we can see, darkness and light are polar opposites and were created as such in the very beginning.

 

Genesis 1:4 “And God saw that the light was good. Then he separated the light from the darkness.”

It’s easy to be a light when you are surrounded by other lights as you don’t even need to be a light, you can just be a mirror reflection of that other light. The equivalent is a Christian surrounded by testimonies and blessings and joy. But how hard is it to be a light surrounded by darkness? Very. That is equal to a Christian who is surrounded by grief pain and sadness.  It is like lighting a candle in a vacuum where there is nothing except emptiness.

 

That is how I've felt recently, like I know what I should be doing but I can't find the motivation to actually do it. It was as if all of my zeal had disappeared and everything that used to motivate me just melted away. But the good thing about these tough times is that when all the other motivators fail; only one remains, and that is the Holy Spirit. Our Eternal Motivator.


So how can I be a light when I feel stuck in the darkness? Honestly there is no single answer but there are some steps you need to take:

 

  1. Submit to the Holy Spirit. Let Him ordain EVERYTHING that you do. I find that praying first thing in the morning helps with this.

 

  1. Worship. It’s really that simple. Worship stirs up your spirit and lifts your mood.

 

  1. Read the word. It’s always useful to have a store of bible verse ‘affirmations’ that you can say when you lack motivation or are feeling downcast.
  2. Put yourself last. The hierarchy of your life is God then you. If God is telling you to do something, it’s not for fun! It’s because it will benefit you. Ignoring God’s instructions will always lead to frustration, confusion and time wasting.

 

How can I be a light to the world?

 

Matthew 5:14-15

14 “You are the light of the world - like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. 15 No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house."


1. Identify what your basket is. The basket is anything that is stopping you from pushing forward in your purpose
. It can be anything from anxiety, to friends, to trauma.

 

2. Pray that the Lord will lift that basket out of your life. Don’t try to do it on your own. Ask your Heavenly Father and he will surely do it for you – John 14:14

 

3. Pray that your light will shine and shall be seen. Shining your light can be walking in your purpose. When people see the light in you, it is a form of evangelism. It’s leading souls to Christ through the means you have been assigned to use.

 

This message is basically for anyone who needs that extra push to start a new project or launch a new business or answer the call on their life. Don’t let that basket stop you! And don’t look to the darkness and have doubt, instead look towards the Light that is Jesus!

 

Make sure you subscribe more blog posts! 

Follow our Spotify account: Light in the Darkness 

Follow me on Twitter for a mix of comedy, Christianity and politics: @venusomokhoa

 https://twitter.com/VenusOmokhoa


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical School Testimony

"Now I do what I want"

The Spiritual vs The Physical