"Now I do what I want"


By Oseyi Omokhoa


When I was a brand new believer, one of my favourite verses was Psalm 20:4, “May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed”. I thought this meant that now that I have Jesus on my side, all of my wishes would become a reality. Obviously I was watching too much Disney.

Then I came across Proverbs 16:3, “Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed”. I thought, okay, calm. I just have all of my trust in God and I will get what I want. Not quite there yet.

Recently, God revealed Proverbs 16:19, “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps” which means that I can plan out my life all the way from birth to death, I can cry out in prayer until my tongue twists but if it is not God’s plan for my life then I am just wasting my breath.

All our lives we are asked, ‘what do you want to do with your life?’ From primary school all the way to university. But we need to start asking God what He wants to do with our lives. We need to seek His face as early as possible so that we can walk according to His plan and live in the confidence of Romans 28:2.

So how do we trade our plans for the Lords?

1. Surrender to Him; approach God with a submissive heart. God cannot take control of the car without you letting go of the steering wheel (top tip: pray and fast for this attitude).

2. Spend time with Him on your own. God wants a relationship with us. Imagine a stranger asking you to share your secrets with them, you definitely wouldn’t! So don’t be a stranger to God; be His friend. When you spend time with Him, you will recognise His presence and hear His instructions (post on how to hear from God is pending).

3. Obey. Obey. Obey. Obey every single one of His commands. Whether He tells you to launch that YouTube channel or preach on the street or volunteer at a food bank, just obey.

4. Most importantly PRAY. Pray that the will of God shall be done in your life. Pray this daily.

Let’s all remember that when we do what we want, we will surely fail but when we do what God wants, we will surely prevail!


Make sure you subscribe for more blog posts!

Follow our Spotify account: Light in the Darkness 

Follow me on Twitter for a mix of comedy, Christianity and politics: @venusomokhoa

 https://twitter.com/VenusOmokhoa



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical School Testimony

The Spiritual vs The Physical