Content Consumption

By Oseyi Omokhoa


So on Sunday evening, my twitter account was blocked accidentally. Initially I was disappointed and sad, sadder than I had expected to be. That shocked me because logically I knew that it was just an account and I really shouldn’t feel so low because my account can be restored.

I did some self-reflection that night along with some prayers of course and I was led to do a complete social media fast for 24 hours. Since then and I have had a few revelations concerning social media:

Revelations (through consumption clichés)

An apple everyday keeps the doctor away; it depends on the apple, is it mouldy or fresh?

The apple is the content we consume, are we taking in content that will edify[1] our spirits or feed our flesh[2]? The truth is that the only ‘fresh apple’ is the Word of God. If we want to go deeper into the metaphor then the ‘doctor’ is deliverance[3]. Basically if we constantly digest the Word and allow it to work in us we won’t have need for deliverance because evil won’t be able to take root in our lives.

You are what you eat; are you filled with the Word or the World?

If you have an unhealthy diet or an imbalanced diet your physical attributes will reflect your eating choices, they may not be visible to the naked eye but if we take a look into your body we will find them. The same goes for what we consume spiritually, if our spiritual diet is unhealthy (we are constantly taking in sinful content) or imbalanced (we aren’t taking in the Word of God regularly) our spiritual lives will be affected. We may not notice the difference immediately but one day the evil that we have consumed spiritually, may manifest in our lives in the form of sin.

John 6:33 The true bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” Jesus is our true bread; He is the one who should sustain us not our followers, or our likes or our retweets.

A lot of the time we turn to social media to fill a void but John 6:35 says that "Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” The only thing that will complete us eternally is God, anything else is a temporary replacement at best!



[1] Edify: instruct and improve especially in moral and religious knowledge : uplift also : enlighten

[2] Flesh: our human bodies usually linked to physical desires.

[3] Deliverance: the action of being rescued or set free from sin and evil.


Make sure you subscribe for more blog posts! 

Follow our Spotify account: Light in the Darkness 

Follow me on Twitter for a mix of comedy, Christianity and politics: @venusomokhoa

 https://twitter.com/VenusOmokhoa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical School Testimony

"Now I do what I want"

The Spiritual vs The Physical